"Rydal, Sir Daniel Fleming supposes to be a contraction of Rowthey-dale, from the river of that name running down there. Loughrigg evidently takes its name from the loughs or lakes with which this country abounds. It is a hamlet of itself, opposite to Rydal on the other side of the water: which being conjoined with a bridge, makes as it were one intire village, yet they are two manors."
[Nicolson & Burn: The history and antiquities of the counties of Westmorland and Cumberland. 1777.]
Rydal was formerly part of Grasmere parish. It is adjacent to Langdale and Ambleside parishes.
Returns do not survive for the 'census' of 1787.
Census returns are available from the usual sources for 1841-1911.
Simple church of 1824 with W tower, nave and chancel.
This and other photographs on Geograph site.
Historical and architectural notes on National Heritage List (English Heritage site).
Photograph(s) and description on VisitCumbria.
Access and contact details on Church of England site
Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts are held by Cumbria Archives :
originals at Kendal RO and microfilm copies at Carlisle RO.
See the CASCAT online calogue for WPR82 for information on these and other parish records..
For searching on LDS familysearch.org see IGI batch numbers (compiled by Jake Prescott)
or use the batch number search site (by Hugh Wallis).
The details for the parish from the Parson & White's Directory for 1829 are transcribed on Edenlinks site.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Rydal to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Rydal has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NY355075 (Lat/Lon: 54.458462, -2.995711), Rydal which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Hearth Tax records for 1674 Loughrigg & Rydal transcribed on Edenlinks.