National Gazetteer (1868) - Lydiard Tregoze
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"LIDDIARD-TREEGOOZE, a parish in the hundred of Kingsbridge, county Wilts, 4 miles N.W. of Swindon, its post town, and 3 from Wootton Bassett. The Great Western railway and the Wilts and Berks canal pass through the parish. It was anciently called Lidiar, and came through the Beauchamps of Bletsoe, to the St. Johns, viscounts Bolingbroke, in whose family it has remained since the reign of Henry VI. The village is situated on the road from Oxford to Bath. The parish is of large extent, and the land chiefly in pasture, with about 350 acres of woodland. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £603 18s. 5d. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, value £628.
The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure, with a square tower containing five bells. It was partly rebuilt in 1683 by the Bolingbrokes, and was thoroughly restored about twelve years ago. The interior of the church contains several ancient banners and helmets, and the monuments of the viscounts Bolingbroke. The parochial charities produce about £21 per annum, bequeathed by the Rev. R. Miles for clothing of the poor. There is a school for both sexes, supported by Lord Bolingbroke and the rector. Liddiard Park, the seat of Lord Bolingbroke, who is lord of the manor, is situate at a short distance from the church."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]