"NEWTON-TONEY, a parish in the hundred of Amesbury, county Wilts, 9 miles N.E. of Salisbury, its post town, and 4 S.E. of Amesbury. The village, which principally consists of one long street, is situated on a stream flowing into the river Avon, near the eastern border of Salisbury Plain. The Andover and Salisbury branch line of the South-Western railway passes through the parish. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £433, and the glebe comprises 42 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Sarum, value £441, in the patronage of Queen's College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is a modern structure. The register dates from 1568. There is a National school, erected in 1857. Sir A. Malet is lord of the manor, and resides at Wilbury House, which is the principal residence."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Newton Tony or Newton Toney is 4 miles E of Amesbury. Grid Ref SU217403. Population 268 in 1831, 304 in 1951.
Common to all parishes is a National Burial Index 1568-1837
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Newton Tony to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Newton Tony has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The entry for Newton Tony from British History Online.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU217403 (Lat/Lon: 51.161542, -1.691059), Newton Tony which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)