OFFENHAM - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"OFFENHAM, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Blackenhurst, county Worcester, 2 miles N.E. of Evesham, its railway station and post town, and 16 from Worcester. The village, which is of small extent, is situated at the ferry on the river Avon, and is chiefly agricultural. Offenham derives its name from the Saxon king Offa, who once resided here. There are traces of a seat of the abbots of Evesham, to whom the manor subsequently belonged. There is no carriage road through the village, which is exceedingly retired.
The living is a perpetual curacy* [the asterisk denotes that there is a parsonage and glebe belonging to the living] in the diocese of Worcester, value £123, in the patronage of Christ Church. Oxford. The church, dedicated to SS. Mary and Milburgh, is an ancient stone structure with a tower (of more modern date) containing five bells. The parochial charities produce about £6 per annum. There is a National school, with a library adjoining, supported by an annuity bequeathed by John Millard in 1827."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]