Hide

Atwick, Yorkshire, England. Geographical and Historical information from 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide
Hide

ATWICK:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"ATWICK, a parish in the northern division of the wapentake of Holderness, in the East Riding of the county of York, 2 miles to the N. of Hornsea. Hull is its post town. It is situated on the coast of the North Sea, in a district on which the sea is encroaching, and which suffers especially during the prevalence of storms. The parish comprises the hamlets of Little Atwick, Arran, and Skirlington. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, of the value of £149, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church is dedicated to St. Lawrence. There is a free school founded by Mr. Fenwick, which has a revenue of £46. There are several other endowments, the yearly value of which is £13."


"ARRAM, a hamlet in the parish of Atwick, wapentake of Holderness, in the East Riding of the county of York, 3 miles from Hornsea."


"SKIRLINGTON, a hamlet in the parish of Atwick, N. division of Holderness wapentake, East Riding county York, 1 mile N. of Atwick, and 3 N.W. of Hornsea. It is situated on the coast."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013