Atwick Parish information from Bulmers' 1892.
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1892.
Wapentake of Holderness (North Division) - Petty Sessional Division of North Holderness - County Counoil Electoral Division of Brandesburton - Poor Law Union of Skirlaugh - County Court District of Beverley - Rural Deanery of Hornsea - Archdeaconry of the East Riding - Diocese of York.
The parish of Atwick or Attenwick lies on the coast of the German Ocean, between Skipsea and Hornsea, and contains 2,297 acres of land belonging to Thomas Bainton, Esq., of Arram Hall, Hull; Geo. Mason Gale; Henry William Bainton; J. W. Halden; W. S. Gofton, William White; Trinity House, Hull; St. John's College, Cambridge; Thomas Etherington; and Mrs. Manghan. The soil is a strong clay, subsoil clay, and the chief crops are wheat, beans, and oats. The township is valued for rating purposes at £1,942, and the population in 1891 was 298, a decrease of 22 since 1881.
The manor is not mentioned in Domesday Survey, but in Kirby's Inquest, about A.D. 1282, it is returned as belonging to Robert de Ros, who held it of the king in capite. Subsequently it was held by the Bulmers, the Mauleys, the Salvaines, the Bigods, the Hastings, the Ughtreds, and the Constables. The manorial rights have since been a matter of dispute, and the descent of the manor cannot consequently be traced.
The village is pleasantly situated near the sea, about two miles north of Hornsea, and 14 east by north of Beverley. The nearest railway station is Hornsea, two-and-a-half miles distant. Near the centre of the village is an ancient stone cross, raised on three steps, which is said to have been in 1786, 43 chains 61 links from the sea; in consequence of the wasting away of the cliffs, it is now (1891) less than 38 chains. This cross once bore an inscription, but it is now illegible. The church (St. Lawrence) was rebuilt in 1876, at a cost of £1,725. It is a brick structure in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch, and a saddle back tower containing one bell, situated on the north side at the junction of the nave and chancel. The chancel fittings are of oak and pitchpine, those of the nave are deal. There are sittings for 175. The font is circular and ancient. The registers date from 1601.
The church, with one messuage, six oxgangs of land, and a toft, was given by Everard de Ros to the Priory of St. Mary, Bridlington, and it was afterwards appropriated to that convent. After the dissolution of that house, the patronage reverted to the Crown, and it is now exercised by the Lord Chancellor. The living is a discharged vicarage, nett yearly value £100, including 25 acres of glebe, and held by the Rev. Edward Gordon, B.A., of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. The vicarage house is a commodious residence of white brick, built some years ago, at a cost of nearly £1,000.
There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels in the village, built in 1821 and 1856 respectively. A School Board was formed in 1876, and the present school was erected the following year, at a cost of £707, for the accommodation of 61 children. Children under seven years of age pay 1d. per week; the fees of children over that age are paid out of the income of Fenwick's and Barton's Charity, and the surplus, if any, is accumulated for the benefit of children on coming of age. In consequence of the adoption of the Free Education Act, a new scheme has just been submitted to the Charity Commissioners by the trustees, in which it is proposed to give one-half of the income for edutcational purposes, and the other half to the poor.
CHARITIES. - Edward Fenwick, in 1689, bequeathed an oxgang of land in the township of Beeford (in lieu of which 33 acres were allotted at the enclosure), the rent thereof to be applied to the education of poor children of the parish, and the apprenticing of one poor boy yearly.
Ralph Burton, in 1726, left 13a. 3r. of land, in the parish of Hornsea, for educational purposes and the benefit of the poor. These charities are now combined, and are managed under a scheme of the Charity Commissioners, dated 8th November, 1878, by seven trustees. The income - £50 per annum - is applied in the proportion of two-thirds for education and third to the poor.
ARRAM, Ergham, or Earholme is a hamlet and manor, two miles south-west from Atwick. It is mentioned in Domesday Book, and in the time of Edward the Confessor was held by Torchil. It was given at an early period to the Abbey of Meaux, and belonged to that house till the dissolution of monasteries, when it came to the Crown. Queen Elizabeth granted it to Sir Christopher Hatton, Lord Chancellor. Subsequently it passed, through several hands, to Sir Christopher Hildyard, who acquired it by his marriage with the heiress of Alderman Dobson, of Hull. In 1803 it was purchased from Sir D'Arcy Hildyard by Thomas Bainton, Esq., from whom it has descended to the present owner. The manor house, now called Arram Hall, the residence of Thomas Bainton, Esq., C.C., is a Jacobean structure, but considerably modernised. It consists of a centre and two wings, and was built by Nicholas Waller, of Sykehouse. It is a picturesque ivy-covered building.
ERGAHM, see ARRAM.
EARHOLME, see ARRAM.
SKIRLINGTON, is a hamlet and manor in this parish. It is situated about one mile north of Atwick, and consists of two farms, known as High and Low Skirlington. This place is mentioned in Domesday Book as one of the five sokes belonging to the manor of Hornsea, and it contained at that time five carucates of arable land. Its early owners took their name from the place, and one of them, about a century after the Conquest, gave it to the Priory of Bridlington. At the dissolution of that house, it came into the possession of the Crown, and has since passed through various hands. High Skirlington contains 188 acres, and is the property of Mr. Thomas Etherington, and occupied by Mr. W. H. Dent, farmer.
LOW SKIRLINGTON, containing 140 acres, was purchased by the Rev. John Gilby, and was carried in marriage by his daughter to the late Colonel Beresford, and now the property of Mr. J. W. Halden.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of East Yorkshire (1892)]
- Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades in Bulmer's Directory of 1892.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.