BAINTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"BAINTON, a parish in the Bainton-Beacon division of the wapentake of HARTHILL, East riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles S.W. from Great Driffield, containing 300 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of the East riding, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £35. 14. 9., and in the patronage of the President and Fellows of St. John's College, Oxford. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew. There are places of worship for Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists. The petty sessions for the Bainton-Beacon division are held here. A beacon was anciently erected on an eminence near the village, to give notice of approaching danger, and hence the name given to this division of the wapentake."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]