BEEFORD: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"BEEFORD, a parish in the northern division of the wapentake of Holderness, in the East Riding of the county of York, 7 miles to E. the of Great Driffield. It is situated near the sea-coast, and contains the chapelry of Lissett, and the township of Dunnington. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, of the value with the curacy of Lissett annexed to it, of £779, in the gift of the archbishop. The church is dedicated to St. Leonard, and contains a monumental brass of a priest, of the year 1472. The Independents and Wesleyans have chapels here, and there is a small free school."
"DUNNINGTON, a township in the parish of Beeford, N. division of the wapentake of Holderness, in the East Riding of the county of York, 4 miles N.W. of Hornsea, and 10 S.E. of Driffield station. Hull is its post town. Thomas R. Pierson is lord of the manor."
"LISSETT, a chapelry and township in the parish of Beeford, N. division of the wapentake of Holderness, East Riding county York, 3 miles N. of Beeford, and 6 S.W. of Bridlington. Hull is its post town. It is situated near the coast. The village is small, and wholly agricultural. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the rectory* of Beeford, in the diocese of York. The church is dedicated to St. James."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013