Carnaby, Yorkshire, England. Geographical and Historical information from 1868.
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"CARNABY, a parish in the wapentake of Dickering, in the East Riding of the county of York, 2 miles to the S.W. of Bridlington, its post town. It is situated near the seacoast, and is a station on the Hull, Bridlington, and Scarborough branch of the North-Eastern railway. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York, value with the perpetual curacy of Fraisthorpe annexed, £82, in the patronage of Sir G. Strickland, Bart. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. There are some charities of trifling value."
"AUBURN, (or Owburn), a chapelry in the parish of Carnaby, wapentake of Dickering, in the East Riding, county of York, 4 miles from Bridlington, its post town. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Carnaby. It lies on the shore of Bridlington Bay, and has been much damaged by the encroachments of the sea. The living is a perpetual curacy attached to the curacy of Fraisthorpe."
"FRAISTHORPE, a hamlet in the parish of Carnaby, in the wapentake of Dickering, East Riding county York, 3 miles S. of Carnaby, and 4 S.W. of Bridlington, its post town. It is situated on the coast of Bridlington Bay, and includes the township of Auburn. The sea having for many years past been making inroads upon the land, the latter township has been reduced to a single farm. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the vicarage of Carnaby, in the diocese of York. There are some small charities. Sir George Strickland, Bart., is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013