[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"CARNABY, a parish in the wapentake of Dickering; 2½ miles SW. of Bridlington. Here is a Church of the Establishment (see Churches for photograph), dedicated to St. John the Baptist, of which the Rev. T. Simpson, vicar, is the incumbent, and Sir G. Strickland, Bart. patron. Pop. 130"
"AUBURN, in the parish of Carnaby, and wapentake of Dickering; 2¼ miles SE. of Carnaby, 3½ miles S. of Bridlington. Population included with Fraisthorpe."
"BRACKENDALE, in the parish of Carnaby, and wapentake of Dickering; 1¼ miles S. of Carnaby, 4½ miles SSW. of Bridlington."
"DEMMING, a farm house in the parish of Carnaby, wapentake of Dickering; 2¼ miles SSW. of Carnaby, 4 miles SSW of Bridlington."
"FRAISTHORPE, in the parish of Carnaby, and wapentake of Dickering; 2½ miles S. of Carnaby, 5 miles SSW. of Bridlington."
"KINGSFIELD, (North and South), 2 farm houses in the township of Fraisthorpe, and parish of Carnaby, & wapentake of Dickering; 2 miles S. of Carnaby, 4 miles SSW. of Bridlington."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Photographs of over 180 gravestones and plaques at Carnaby church with linked surname index..
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Carnaby to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA147656 (Lat/Lon: 54.073566, -0.248546), Carnaby which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The 1914-1919 Memorial Plaque in Carnaby Church.
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish