Hide

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

hide
Hide
Hide
Hide

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

Source=h:/!Genuki/RecordTranscriptions/ERY/ERYChCollection.txt

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: FRAISTHORPE with AUBURN.     Church dedication: CHAPEL.

Area, 2,040 acres. Dickering wapentake. - Population, 103 *1; Church-room, sufficient *2; Net value, £38. -The Priory of Bridlington had possessions at Fraisthorpe. Swine Priory had also lands, which Maud, Prioress of Swine and the Convent, exchanged, with all the villains and their families and cattle thereon, with the Priory of Bridlington, for lands in Howum.

Fraisthorpe is a Chapel belonging to Carnaby. Auburn is also a Chapel to Carnaby. This was formerly claimed by the Stricklands to be a Donative, till 1737, when the Curacy was augmented.

Patron and impropriator, Sir George Strickland, Bart.

25th September 1731; a faculty was granted to take down the Chapel of Auburn ; and, by a license dated 20th December, in the same year, the inhabitants of Auburn are directed to resort to the Chapel of Fraisthorpe.

Valued in 1707 (Fraisthorpe) £3. (Auburn) £2. 138. 4d.

In the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 406, it is stated : " Fraisthorpe and Auburne, both in Carnaby parish. £2. 13s. 4d. paid to the minister at Auberne ;" -and in 1818, at £27 per annum.

Augmented in 1737, with £200; in 1767, with £200; in 1787, with £200; and in 1824, with £600 -all by lot.

No glebe house.

Register Books, vide Carnaby.

Charity:
Lady Strickland's gift. Interest of £20 for widows and other poor not receiving regular weekly relief from the rates. -Vide 9th Report, page 735.

Post town: Bridlington.


References:
Not mentioned by Torre. Abp. Sharp's MS. vol. ii. page 209. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Frestintorp), pages 89. 203. 223. Burton's Monasticon, pages 228. 253. Prickett's Bridlington, pages 54, 55. Mon. Angl., vol. vi. page 284.


Notes:
*1 In 1834, the Population was stated to be 114.

*2 Vide return in 1831.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.