The Ancient Parish of COWLAM
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"COWLAM, a parish in the wapentake of Buckrose; 6½ miles NW. of Driffield. Here is a Church of the Establishment (see Churches for photograph), of which the present incumbent is the Rev. T. F. Foord, rector. Patron, B. F. Bowes, Esq. Pop. 33.
From the numberless foundations that have been dug up here, there is every reason to suppose that this village has formerly been of much greater extent; this want of inhabitants and increased inclosures, have reduced the living to the small sum affixed."
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Cowlam.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Cowlam to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE966656 (Lat/Lon: 54.077274, -0.525056), Cowlam which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SE965655) Cowlam Manor
- (SE969644) Low Cowlam
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish