Hide

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

hide
Hide
Hide

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: ELVINGTON.     Church dedication: HOLY TRINITY.     Church type: Discharged Rectory.

Area, 2,120 acres. Ouse and Derwent wapentake. -Population, 391 *1; Church-room, 150 *2; Net value, £280. -At the time of the Domesday Survey, there was a Church at Elvington, and two fisheries yielding one thousand eels.

The Church is an ancient Rectory, formerly belonging to the patronage of the Morebys, from them it came to the Nevilles, Earls of Westmorland, and in King Henry the Seventh's time the patronage came to the Crown.

Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £5. 6s. 8d.; in the King's books, at £5. 17s. 2d.; Synodals and Procurations, 8s. 6d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 304, at £50 per annum *3.

30th May 1803, faculty granted to rebuild the Church.

Inclosure Acts were passed 16th Geo. IL '(The Moor) and 9th Geo. III.

The glebe house is fit for residence.

The Register Books commence in 1600: 1741, 1742, 1743, and 1744, wanting. The first book is much decayed. -Vide transcripts at York.

Parochial Charities. -No return.

Post town: York.


References:
Torre's MS., page 429. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 9. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Alwintone), pages 171. 238.


Notes:
*1 The population, in 1834, was returned at 380.

*2 In 1818, the return was 300.

*3 The Valor Ecc. specifies tithes, mansion, and glebe land. -Page 97, col. 2.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.