ELVINGTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"ELVINGTON, a parish in the wapentake of Ouse, East Riding county York, 7 miles S.E. of York. The village is pleasantly situated on an acclivity rising from the western bank of the Derwent, across which there is a stone bridge. Salmon fishing is carried on here to a considerable extent. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1769. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £280, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, a neat brick structure, rebuilt in the early part of the present century, is dedicated to the Holy Trinity. The Wesleyans have a chapel, and there is a day school for both sexes. S. Wormald, Esq., is lord of the manor. The Manor House, Brinkworth Hall, and The Villa are the principal residences."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013