"FILEY, a parish partly in the wapentake of PICKERING lythe, North riding, but chiefly in the wapentake of DICKERING, East riding, of the county of YORK, 2 miles N.E. from Hunmanby, containing, with the townships of Gristhorpe and Libberston, which are in Pickering lythe, 1128 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of the East riding, and diocese of York, endowed with £400 private benefaction, £600 royal bounty, and £1600 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of Humphrey Osbaldeston Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Oswald. The parish is bounded on the east by the bay of the same name. It has a considerable fishery, and is much resorted to in the bathing season. There is a mineral spring, the water of which has properties similar to that at Scarborough."