GREAT GIVENDALE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"GREAT GIVENDALE, (or GREAT GWENDALE), a parish in the Wilton-Beacon division of the wapentake of HARTHILL, East riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Great Givendale and Grimthorpe,- and containing 89 inhabitants, of which number, 60 are in the township of Great Givendale, which is partly within the liberty of St-PETER-OF-YORK, 3 miles N.E. from Pocklington. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Dean of York, rated in the king's books at £4.18.4., endowed with £700 private benefaction, and £400 royal bounty."
"GRIMTHORPE, a township in the parish of GREAT GIVENDALE, or GWENDALE, partly in the liberty of ST-PETER-of-YORK, and partly in the Wilton-Beacon division of the wapentake of HARTHILL, East riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles N. from Pocklington, containing 29 inhabitants."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]