HOLMPTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"HOLMPTON, a parish in the S. division of the wapentake of Holderness, East Riding county York, 4 miles E. of Patrington its post town. It is situated near the coast of the North Sea, and is wholly agricultural. During the period of half a century the sea has encroached upon upwards of 70 yards of land. The tithes have been commuted for land and money payments. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £152. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is a small structure, with a tower of more recent erection containing one bell. The parochial charities produce about £3 per annum. There are day and Sunday schools, the former supported by voluntary contributions. Holmpton Lodge is the principal residence, situated near the cliffs, and built in the reign of Queen Anne. The Rev. William Potchett is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013