Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: KILNWICK PERCY. Church dedication: SAINT HELEN. Church type: Peculiar. Discharged Vicarage.
Area, 1,610 acres. Harthill wapentake. Wilton Beacon. -Population, 49 *1; Church-room, 45 *2; Net value, £180. -Kildwick was held by William de Percy of the heirs of Brus by the service of one knight's fee and 4s. rent, excepting twelve oxgangs of land, which the Prior of Watre held in frankalmoigne.
The Church, in which was a chantry, was given by Robert de Percy to the Deanery of York in the time of King Henry the Second, which was confirmed by the Archbishop in 1232, and a Vicarage ordained therein, 14th Kal., Mart., A.D. 1312.
Patron and impropriator, the Dean of York.
Torre gives a broken catalogue of Vicars.
Valued in the King's books, at £4. 16s. 2d. per annum ; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 388, it is stated : " Vicarage, £40 per annum. This is a small congregation, and being within a mile of Pocklington, fit to be united to it."
Augmented in 1714, with £200; in 1767, with £200; and in 1785, with £200 -all by lot.
For the monuments, &c., see Bodleian MS.
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1688.
Parochial Charities. -No return.
Post town: Pocklington.
Torre's MS. (Peculiars), page 723. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 79. Bodleian MS., No. 5101. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Childeuuic), page 38.
*1 In 1834, the Population was returned at 50.
*2 In 1818, the return was, "60 or 70."
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.