Hide

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

hide
Hide
Hide

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: LOCKINGTON.     Church dedication: SAINT MARY.     Church type: Rectory in charge.

Area, less than 3,200 acres *1. Harthill wapentake. Bainton Beacon. - Population, 475 *2; Church-room, 200 *3; Net value, £532. -In Lockington, the Lords Mauley held in fee three carucates of land, whereof the Knights Hospitallers of St. John held two oxgangs in frankalmoigne, and St. John of Beverley twenty-two oxgangs ; and John de Dake held one oxgang ; and the Church is endowed with one oxgang.

The Church was once given to the Brethren of the Priory of Grandmont by Robert de Turnham and Joan his wife, daughter of William Fossard, and afterwards by Peter de Manley and Isabel his wife, and confirmed to them by Walter Gray in 1229, but it soon after came into the hands of the Mauleys again. The Rector of this Church sometimes had a Vicar under him to serve the Cure, who was admitted by the Archbishop.

Anciently in the patronage of the Lords Mauley, then of the Bigotts and Remingtons.

Present patron, the Rev. Francis Lundy.

Valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £26. 13s. 4d.; in the King's books, at £20; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 332, it is stated : " Vicarage, £151. 5s., and Impropriation, £24 per annum."

An Inclosure Act was passed 2nd Geo. III.

The glebe house is fit for residence. It was partly rebuilt under a faculty granted 7th June 1758.

The Register Books commence in 1565.

Parochial Charities. -No return.

Post town: Beverley.


References:
Torre's MS., page 1285. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 65. Wood's Bodleian MS., No. 5078. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Locheton), pages 56. 80; (Ach), 47. 80. Burton's Monasticon, pages 74. 275.


Notes:
*1 The entire area of Lockington township (which is partly in Kildwick parish) being here included. Aike township is partly in St. John's parish, Beverley, and there entered.

*2 Viz. part of Aike, 47; and part of Lockington, 428. -In 1834, the Population was returned at 390.

*3 In 1818, estimated at 250.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.