[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"MARKET WEIGHTON, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill, and liberty of St. Peter's; 7 miles from Pocklington, 8 from South Cave, 10 from Beverley, 12 from Howden, 21 from Selby, 19 from York, and from London 188. Pop. 1724." (There is further information for Market Weighton
"ARRAS, in the parish of Market Weighton, and wapentake of Harthill; 3 miles E. of Market Weighton. Population included with Market Weighton."
"SHIPTONTHORPE, in the parish of Market Weighton, wapentake of Harthill, & liberty of St. Peter's; 1¾ miles WNW. of Market Weighton, 2 miles NW. of Market Weighton. There is a charity school here for the education of ten poor boys. The present trustees are Mr John Smith and the Rev. R. C. Winpenny. Pop. 369. Here is a Chapel of ease to Market-Weighton."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]