[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"MARKET WEIGHTON, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill, and liberty of St. Peter's; 7 miles from Pocklington, 8 from South Cave, 10 from Beverley, 12 from Howden, 21 from Selby, 19 from York, and from London 188. Pop. 1724." (There is further information for Market Weighton).
"ARRAS, in the parish of Market Weighton, and wapentake of Harthill; 3 miles E. of Market Weighton. Population included with Market Weighton."
"SHIPTONTHORPE, in the parish of Market Weighton, wapentake of Harthill, & liberty of St. Peter's; 1¾ miles WNW. of Market Weighton, 2 miles NW. of Market Weighton. There is a charity school here for the education of ten poor boys. The present trustees are Mr John Smith and the Rev. R. C. Winpenny. Pop. 369. Here is a Chapel of ease to Market-Weighton."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Photographs of the over 1090 gravestones and plaques at Market Weighton Cemetery with linked surname index.
- The List of Charities in All Saints Church, Market Weighton.
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
- All Saints' Church, Market Weighton. (The Church's website is here.)
- St. John's Methodist Church, Market Weighton.
- St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church, Market Weighton.
- All Saint's Church, Shiptonthorpe, view 1.
- All Saint's Church, Shiptonthorpe, view 2. (The Church's website is here.)
- The Methodist Church, Shiptonthorpe.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Market Weighton to another place.
- In 1876 the chapelry of Shipton (in this parish) and the township of Thorpe-le-Street in the parish of Nunburnholme were combined to form Shipton-Thorpe Parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE877418 (Lat/Lon: 53.865016, -0.667878), Market Weighton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The World War I and II Memorial Plaque in All Saints Church, Market Weighton.
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish