Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: NORTH CAVE. Church dedication: ALL SAINTS. Church type: Discharged Vicarage.
Area, 6,360 acres. Harthill wapentake. Hunsley Beacon. -Population, 1,000 *1 ; Church-room, 420 *2; Net value £247.
The town of North Cave hath therein three carucates of land held of the fee of Stutevill, whereof five oxgangs belonged to the Knights Templars, and one carucate was held of the Liberty of St. John of Beverley.
Also the heirs of Brus held here two carucates of land.
And the Flamvills held other two carucates of William de Percy of Kildale, who held them of Brus.
Also the Lords Manley held here five carucates of land.
Roger de Mowbray, that he himself, Aliz his wife, and children, might be admitted into the fraternity of the Canons of York, with his own hand offered upon the altar there, land in North Cave, worth the sum of £10, viz. tilled in four carucates.
The manor of North Cave for many generations belonged to the family of the Methams, knights.
The Church was of the patronage of the Meauxs, knights, till it was appropriated to the Carthusians at Hull, when there was a Vicarage ordained therein. After the dissolution the patronage came to the Ellerkers, from them to the Melthams, Worsleys, Montgomerys, and Burtons.
H. Burton, Esq. is the present patron and impropriator.
Torre mentions no ordination, but says, " 7th Dec., 1318, Commission issued to the Bishop of Ely to dedicate this Church, then newly built."
The first Vicar named in Torre's Catalogue was presented previous to 1399.
The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's Taxation at £53. 6s. 8d. In the King's books, the Vicarage is valued at £10. 7s. 6d.; and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 354, it is stated : " Vicarage, £40 per annum ;" and recommended that " North Cliffe and South Cliffe be made a separate parish."
Inclosure Acts were passed 4th Geo. III., and 13th Geo. III. (Everthorpe.)
The glebe house is fit for residence.
The Register Books commence in 1678. No entry of Baptisms from 1683 to 1694, inclusive.
The school endowment, 1a. 1r. 11p. of land. The school-house was erected many years ago at the expense of the inhabitants, which, together with an allotment of 2a. 32p. of land, in lieu of common rights, and 2r. 19p. of land, the gift of Sir George Montgomery Metham, the lord of the manor, were, in March 1772, conveyed to new trustees, in trust to nominate a schoolmaster to teach the children of the parish reading, writing, and vulgar arithmetic. The schoolmaster has the house and land, for which he teaches four poor children as free scholars, besides others who are paid for by their friends. -Vide 10th Report, page 655.
Post town: South Cave.
Torre's MS., page 1115. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 34. Wood's Bodleian MS., No. 5078. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Cave), pages 46. 76. 154. 202. 233. 237; (Cline), 233. 236.; (Drowetone), 154. Burton's Monasticon, page 314.
*1 Viz. North Cave, 747, South Cliff, 104, and Drewton and Everthorpe 149, being 91 less than in 1821, and which is attributed to emigration. In 1834 the Population was returned at 999.
*2 In 1818 the Church room was returned sufficient for the then Population of 665.
SOUTH CLIFFE CHAPEL. CHAPEL. -(Parish of North Cave.) -Archbishop Sharp says, there was anciently a Chapel here, for which a Synodal of 8d. is still charged.
Here the prior of Watton held three oxgangs, and William de Fairburn seven oxgangs, and the Knights Templars half a carucate of land.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.