[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"NUNKEELING, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 6 miles NW. of Hornsea. Nunkeeling is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of R. R. Dixon, Esq. and of Harrington Hudson, Esq. lord of the manor. Pop. with Bewholme, 243.
This church was originally part of the Priory, but was re-built about twelve years ago.
Agnes de Arches, in the time of King Stephen, built a Priory here for Benedictine Nuns, to the honour of St. Mary Magdalen and St Helen. Valued at the dissolution in 1540, at 35L. 15s. 5d. Dugdale. 50L. 17s. 2d. --Speed. The site and demesnes were sold to Sir Richard Gresham, Knight, 32nd Henry VIII. to be held de rege in capite per servic. militare. --Dugdale. -Burton."
"BEWHOLME, in the parish of Nunkeeling, wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 1½ miles ENE. of Nunkeeling, 3 miles NW of Hornsea; pleasantly situated on an eminence and commanding a most extensive and beautiful view of the surrounding country; the houses are, in general well built and chiefly inhabited by farmers the soil is in a high state of cultivation. Pop. Included with Nunkeeling 243."
"BILLINGS HILL, (the seat of James Hopkinson, Esq.) in the township of Bewholme with Nunkeeling, and parish of Nunkeeling; 1 mile NNE. of Nunkeeling, 7 miles from Hornsea, 10 from Beverley."
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
- Transcript of the entry for Nunkeeling in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Nunkeeling.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Nunkeeling to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA143496 (Lat/Lon: 53.929919, -0.26066), Nunkeeling which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The 1914-1918 War Memorial at Bewholme.
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish