Patrington, Yorkshire, England. Geographical and Historical information from 1835.
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"PATRINGTON, a parish and market-town in the southern division of the wapentake of HOLDERNESS, East riding of the county of YORK, 56 miles E.S.E. from York, and 189 N.E. from London, containing 1244 inhabitants. This place, which is of great antiquity, is supposed by some antiquaries to be the Prcetorium of Antoninus,. and the point where the Roman road leading from the great Picts' wall terminates: about seventy years ago, a stone, which had formed part of a Roman altar, was dug up'here. The town is pleasantly situated near a small river, which empties itself into the aestuary of the Humber, and although in a flat country, different points in the vicinity afford commanding views of the Humber and its fertile shores, as far as Spurn Point, about seven miles south-eastward, and also of the opposite coast of Lincolnshire: the houses are but indifferently built. The haven, about a mile distant, according to tradition, was formerly capable of admitting large vessels, but it has become so obstructed by the accumulation of silt, as only to afford access to small craft, which convey corn to Hull and London, and import lime and coal from the West riding. The market is on Saturday, principally for corn, the trade in which is considerable; and fairs are held on'March 28th, July 18th, and December 6th, for shoes, linen-drapery, woollen cloth, copper and tin ware, toys, &c. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of the East riding, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £22, and in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of Clare Hall, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Patrick, is a spacious and handsome cruciform edifice, combining the decorated and later styles of English architecture: it is surmounted by a fine lofty spire, visible at a great distance, and forming a land-mark for mariners approaching the mouth of the Humber. There are places of worship for Independents, and Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]