Hide

Preston, Yorkshire, England. Geographical and Historical information from 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide
Hide

PRESTON:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"PRESTON, a parish, and township, partly in the middle division of Holderness wapentake, and partly in the liberty of St. Peter's, East Riding county York, 6 miles N.E. of Hull, and 1 mile from Hedon, its, railway station and post town. The village, which is extensive, is situated on the Hedon and Hull old turnpike road. The soil consists of warp, marl, &c., with a subsoil of clay. The parish contains the township of Lilley. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York, value £81, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure, with a stone tower containing three bells. The register dates from 1559. The parochial charities produce upwards of £150 per annum, £27 of which goes to the free school. There is also a Sunday-school in connection with the Church. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship. Sir T. A. C. Constable, Bart., is lord of the manor and principal landowner. A cattle fair, which goes by the name of "Magdalen Fair," is held on 2nd August."


"LELLEY, a township in the parish of Preston, middle division of the wapentake of Holderness, East Riding county York, 3 miles N.E. of Hedon, 2 N. of, Preston, and 8 N.E. of Hull. It is a small agricultural place. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1769. There is a small chapel-of-ease."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013