The Ancient Parish of RISE
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"RISE, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Holderness; 6½ miles SW. of Hornsea. The church is a small dilapidated ancient structure (see Churches for photograph), in the chantry of which are several marble monuments, erected to the memory of the opulent family of Bethell. The living is in the gift of the King, and the Rev. Nicholas Torre is the rector. Population, 221.
This place anciently belonged to the noble family of Fauconberg, but has now been for many generations the family seat of the Bethells."
- Photographs of the over 170 gravestones in Rise Churchyard with a surname index.
- Here is a photograph of All Saints' Church, Rise.
- Transcript of the entry for Rise in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Rise.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Rise to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA155424 (Lat/Lon: 53.864972, -0.245106), Rise which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish