The Ancient Parish of SETTRINGTON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"SETTRINGTON, a parish in the wapentake of Buckrose; 4 miles ESE. of Malton. Sir Mark Masterman Sykes, Bart. has a seat here; it formerly belonged to the honourable family of the Mastermans, and by marriage with the heiress, came into possession of the present proprietor. The church (see Churches for photograph) is dedicated to St. Michael, and the Earl of Bridgewater is the patron. Pop. 535."
"SCAGGLETHORPE, in the parish of Settrington, and wapentake of Buckrose; 1¼ miles N. of Settrington, 3½ miles ENE. of Malton. There is no place of Divine worship here, except a chapel for the Primitive Methodists, who have also a Sunday school. Population, 222."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Collins, F (1910), The Register of the Parish of Settrington 1559-1812, Yorkshire Archaeological Society, Parish Register section.
- King, H and Harris A, (1962) A survey of the Manor of Settrington, Record Series Vol 126, Leeds, Yorkshire Archaeological Society.
- Transcript of the entry for Settrington in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Settrington.
- The List of the Incumbents at All Saints Church, Settrington.
- Colin Hinson has transcribed the following:
- Tim Owston has written a short description and history of the village of Settrington.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the The Post Office Directory of the, East and North Ridings, 1857
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Bulmers Directory of 1892. of the East Riding.
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Stephen Whatley's Gazetteer 1750, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1892 History and Directory of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Settrington to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE837705 (Lat/Lon: 54.123557, -0.720807), Settrington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The War Memorial Plaque in All Saints Church, Settrington.
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SE864702) Settrington High Barn (now High Bellmanear)
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish