SIGGLESTHORNE: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"SIGGLESTHORNE, a parish, and township in the N. division of Holderness wapentake, East Riding county York, 6 miles N.E. of Beverley, its post town, 13 N.E. of Hull, and 4 S.W. of Hornsea. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The parish includes the townships of Catfoss, Hatfield, and Seaton. The soil is of a clayey and loamy nature, upon a subsoil of clay. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £585, in the patronage of the crown. The church, dedicated to St. Lawrence, is an ancient structure, with a square tower containing three bells. The parochial charities consist of Constable's school, for the instruction of 16 poor children. The principal residence is Sigglesthorne Hall."
"CATFOSS, a township in the parish of Sigglesthorne, wapentake of Holderness, in the East Riding of the county of York, 4 miles to the W. of Hornsea."
"LITTLE HATFIELD, a township and hamlet in the parish of Sigglesthorne, wapentake of Holderness, East Riding county York, 1 mile N.W. of Great Hatfield, which township it adjoins. It consists of two farms, with several cottages."
"SEATON AND WASSAND, a township in the parish of Sigglesthorne, N. division of Holderness wapentake, East Riding county York, 2 miles S.W. of Hornsea, and 10 N.E. of Beverley. Northallerton is its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is chiefly agricultural. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship. The charities consist of about 8s. per annum. There is an infant school supported by Lady Strickland and Mrs. Bentick, also a Sunday-school in connection with the Wesleyan congregation."
"WASSAND, a township in the parish of Sigglesthorne, East Riding county York, 2 miles S.W. of Hornsea. It is joined with Seaton."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013