The Ancient Parish of SOUTH DALTON
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"SOUTH DALTON, a parish in the wapentake of Harthill; (Dalton House, the seat of Lord Hotham) 6 miles NW. of Beverley. The church is a rectory dedicated to St. Mary (see Churches for photograph), patron Sir C. Hotham, Bart. Population, 277.
Sometime in 1791, a ring belonging to Lady Dorothea Hotham, and by her favour allowed to be exhibited at the Society of Antiquaries, was ploughed up in a field near Dalton House. The stone set in it is a species of the tri-coloured sardonyx, and the impression on it, a very beautiful Janus' head. The characters round the ring are supposed to be old French. --Archaeol. vol 12, p409."
"COTEGARTH WALK FARM, in the parish of South Dalton, and wapentake of Harthill; 2¾ miles WSW. of South Dalton, 4 miles NE. of Market Weighton."
- Transcript of the entry for South Dalton in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of South Dalton.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory of 1823, of the East Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from South Dalton to another place.
- In 1862 this parish was united with that of Holme on the Wolds to form Dalton-Holme Parish.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE966454 (Lat/Lon: 53.895783, -0.531455), South Dalton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- The 1834 Electoral Roll for this parish