WALKINGTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"WALKINGTON, (or Howden Fee), a parish in the wapentakes of Howdenshire and Harthill, East Riding county York, 2½ miles S.W. of Beverley, its post town. The parish includes Provosts Fee. In the vicinity are traces of three ancient sanctuary crosses, respectively situated on the road to Beverley, on the road from Beverley to Bentley, and on the road to Bishop Burton. On the E. side of the parish the soil consists of clay, and on the W. of chalk. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £676. The church, dedicated to All Hallows, was rebuilt in 1820, with the exception of the tower, which is old. The parochial charities produce about £100 per annum, £5 of which go to a school. There is a parochial school for both sexes, erected in 1855. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel."
"FEE HOWDEN, a manor in the parish of Walkington, wapentake of Howdenshire, East Riding county York, 2 miles S.W. of Beverley."
"PROVOST'S FEE, a manor in the parish of Walkington, Hunsley-Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, East Riding county York, 3 miles S.W. of Beverley."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013