Hide

ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY.

hide
Hide
Hide

Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.

The place: WATTON.     Church dedication: ST. MARY.     Church type: Perpetual Curacy.

Area, 3,720 acres. Harthill wapentake. Bainton Beacon. -Population, 345 *1; Church-room, sufficient ; Net value, £60. -In Watton was a Church and a priest, at the time of the Conqueror's Survey.

The whole town, with the Church, was given by Eustace Fitz John to the Priory of Watton, to which the Church was appropriated, and served by a stipendiary minister.

A grant of the Church to Old Malton Priory is mentioned by Dugdale.

Patron, Richard Bethell, Esq.

The Church is valued in Pope Nicholas's taxation, at £8; in 1707, the Curacy was valued at £10. 10s.; in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 326, it is stated : " Vicarage, £13. 6s. 8d.; Impropriation, £244. 13s. 3d.;" and in 1818, at £40 per annum.

Augmented in 1746, with £200; in 1781, with £200; in 1810, with £200 from the Parliamentary grant ; and in 1825, with £200 -all by lot.

No glebe house.

The Register Books commence in 1558.

Parochial Charities. -No return.

Post town: Driffield.


References:
Torre's MS., page 1275. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. ii. page 68. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Wattune), pages 79. 225. Burton's Monasticon, pages 54. 56. 404. Mon. Angl., vol. vi. pages 954. 971. Oliver's Beverley, page 520. Frost's Hull, page 14.


Notes:
*1 In 1834, the Population was returned at 348.


Other information:
PRIORY. -Here was a Priory for Nuns and thirteen Gilbertine Canons, which was founded about the year 1150 by Eustace fil. Joannis. An ancient Nunnery existed here, A.D. 686.


From the original book published by
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.