Hide

Carlton In Cleveland, Yorkshire, England. Geographical and Historical information from 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide
Hide

CARLTON IN CLEVELAND:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"CARLTON IN CLEVELAND, a parish in the western division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles S.S.W. from Stokesley, containing 260 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, iu the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, endowed with £800 royal bounty, and in the patronage of Joseph Reeve, Esq. The church is a small modern structure. There is a place of worship forWes* leyan Methodists. Extensive alum-works were formerly carried on here, but since the discovery of richer beds of that mineral nearer the sea they have been discon-r tinued; various petrifactions of shells and fishes have been found."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]