Carlton In Cleveland
The Ancient Parish of CARLTON IN CLEVELAND
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"CARLTON IN CLEVELAND, a parish in the wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 3 miles S. of Stokesley. The church is a small modern built structure; and the living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of Joseph Reeve, Esq. of which the Rev. John Starkey, is the incumbent. Here is also a Methodist chapel. A little to the South of the village there is an extensive mountainous waste abounding with alum rock; for the extraction and dissolving of which there was formerly an extensive establishment, but on the discovery of this mineral more contiguous to the sea, the works at Carleton were discontinued. Pop. 260."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]
- Transcript of the entry for Carlton in Cleveland in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- There is further information about this parish from the National Gazetteer 1868, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835, Yorkshire extracts.
- There is further information about this parish from the Bulmer's 1890 History and Directory of the North Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Carlton In Cleveland to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NZ509043 (Lat/Lon: 54.431583, -1.216873), Carlton In Cleveland which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- This parish is covered by the following Society: