CARLTON MINIOTT: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1890.
Wapentake and Petty Sessional Division of Birdforth - Electoral Division of Topcliffe - Poor Law Union, County Court District and Rural Deanery of Thirsk - Archdeaconry of Cleveland - Diocese of York.
This parish, sometimes called Carlton Islebeck, comprising 1,507 acres, was formerly a township and chapelry in the parish of Thirsk, from which it was detached in 1868, and constituted a separate parish, for all civil and ecclesiastical purposes. It is valued for rating purposes at £7,844, of which sum, £4,839 is the assessment on the N.E. Railway Co's. property. The other landowners are Reginald Bell, Esq. (lord of the manor), Thirsk Hall; Rev. T. Hill Smith, Thirkleby; David Home, and William Cleasby, Islebeck Grange. There were, in 1881, 380 inhabitants in the parish.
Carlton was anciently held of the Barons de Mowbray by a family that took their surname from the place; later (circa, 1326), one, John Miniott, possessed lands here, and from him Carlton was named, by way of distinction, Carlton Miniott.
The village is situated about two miles W.S.W. of Thirsk, nine miles N.E. of Ripon, and nine miles S. of Northallerton. The church is a small primitive. looking structure, almost hidden beneath a dense covering of ivy. It is dedicated to St. Lawrence, and consists of nave and chancel, with a low red tiled roof and flat ceiling resting on beams. The interior walls are whitewashed. The living is a vicarage worth £220, including 25 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Archbishop of York, and incumbency of the Rev. E. J. Douglas Simpson, M.A. The impropriate tithes were commuted in 1842 for £247, and those of the incumbent for £73. A small portion of the township is tithe-bound to Kirkby Knowle for £16.
The Wesleyans have a small chapel here erected in 1838, and enlarged in 1870.
The School was built in 1849 at a cost of £430, inclusive of teacher's residence, and transferred to the School Board on the formation of that body in 1874.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of North Yorkshire (1890)]
- Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades in Bulmer's Directory of 1890.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.