CLOUGHTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1890.
Wapentake of Pickering Lythe - Electoral Division of Scalby - Petty Sessional Division of Pickering Lythe East - Poor Law Union, County Court District, and Rural Deanery of Scarborough - Archdeaconry of the EastRiding - Diocese of York.
The ecclesiastical parish of Cloughton was detached from Scalby in 1874, and comprises the townships of Cloughton, Burniston, and Stainton Dale, The total area is 8,129 acres, with a population of 1,103 in 1881. It lies one mile off the coast, 4½ north of Scarborough, and 16 south-east from Whitby. The Commissioners of the Duchy of Lancaster are lords of the manor; and with John Woodall, Scarborough; Christopher Leadley, Cloughton; Edward Dormer, Manchester; John C. Owen, Scarborough; W. Birdsall, Scarborough; and W. C. Allanson, Cloughton, are the principal landowners. The soil is loamy, with a subsoil of gravel. Wheat, oats, barley, and turnips are cultivated. Part of the parish is moorlands. In the neighbourhood are extensive quarries of freestone and hardstone, which have been used in many important buildings in Scarborough and district. The freestone is easily worked, and hardens on exposure to the air. In 1886, an alteration in the boundary of the parish took place, occasioned by the transfer of 19 acres of land to Burniston, in exchange for 100 acres of moorland and plantation from Burniston and Scalby. More than two miles of railway, having stations at Cloughton and Hayburn Wyke, runs through the parish.
The village is situated on the Scarborough and Whitby road, five miles north by west of Scarborough, and three miles north of Scalby.
The moors in the neigbourhood furnish us with evidence, in the form of tumuli, of the occupation of this district by the ancient Britons. One tumulus, having a circle of large stones, is 50 feet in diameter. In one, called Rudda, were found an urn and some curious stones; in one, known as Pye Rigg, were discovered a number of calcined bones, with fragments of a sepulchral urn. Near Ellis Close may be noticed British remains; and Hulleys is the site of a British village.
The Church of St. Mary the Virgin, formerly a chapel-of-ease, now a parish church, has just been restored at a cost of £1,200 The architects were Messrs. Smith and Brodrick, of Hull, whose plans embraced the following alterations. The church to be cruciform in the Early Decorated style of the 15th century, with the addition of chancel; vestries for the vicar and choir on the south side; organ chamber on the north side; the entrance to the church to be changed from the west end to the north end; the two bells to be rehung, and the new turret to have an additional bell. The old west end gallery to be removed, and additional seats provided by the side of the organ, and also in the chancel. As the old walls were yet substantial, and the timber in the roof in a good state of preservation, it was resolved to use these as far as practicable in the work of reconstruction. Liberal donations amounting to £1,200, including £200 from the Queen, enabled the vicar and his wardens to carry out the plans of the architects. The only monument in the church, affixed to the south wall near the chancel, is a marble tablet, with arms on a gilt ground, recording that "William Brown, and Priscilla, his wife, lived long and comfortably in wedlock for 70 and 3 years. Hee dyed 1698, aged 96; shee dyed 1698, aged 91 years
"They live well who love well,
They die well who live well."
Underneath is the following: "Robertus Squire de Civitate Eborum armigeri Qui Priscillam Bower nepotem ex fllio dictorum Defunctorum in uxorem duxit hoc Memoriæ sacrum poni Curavit Anno Doni, 1704."
The vicarage was built in 1876 at a cost of £1,500, defrayed by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The nett value of the living is £300, including 12 acres of glebe, in the gift of the vicar of Scalby, and held, since 1884, by the Rev. John Thomas Tause. A Sunday school was erected in 1889, the foundation stone being laid by Lady Derwent. The trustees are the Archbishop of York, the Archdeacon of the East Riding, and the vicar of the parish. The Wesleyans have a chapel, built in 1876, at a cost of £700, which seats 150 persons.
The National school was enlarged, in 1872, by the addition of a class-room, and in 1883, the principal room was extended. Further extensions are now in contemplation to give accommodation for 170 children.
Hayburn Wyke is in a sheltered recess or inlet along the rocky coast, about 1½ miles from Cloughton, and seven from Scarborough. It is much resorted to by pleasure seekers. There is a station, and a hotel and farm, where excellent accommodation can be had. The grounds are extensive, and in the woods we find such forest trees as the oak, ash, birch, pine, &c. The beck, falling over the rock, forms beautiful cascades. The guide says "Hayburn Wyke, with its rugged sea beach, picturesque waterfalls, sheltered glens, and lovely woodlands, affords most romantic and charmingly secluded walks."
Wilson Point is a plot of horizontal ground on the sea cliff, 120 feet above the shore, commanding an extensive view of the wyke or bay, and including a ledge over which the river falls to the beach.
Burniston Township has an area of 2,545 acres, of the rateable value of £1,364, and a population of 238. The village is close to the south side of Cloughton, four miles N. by W. of Scarborough, two miles from Scalby on the high road to Whitby. The Duchy of Lancaster are lords of the manor. The chief land owners are Lord Derwent, the trustees of Mr. Tindall, Mr. George Jackson, Mr. Robert Hodgson, Mr. John Ashton, and Mr. William Trattles.
Burniston was formerly spelt Brinniston and Briningston. It is traditionally reported to have been a parish in itself from traces of a church discovered in a garth below the garden of the Ship Inn. King William Rufus gave land at this place to the monastery at Hackness, and also two carucates to Whitby Abbey.
The Baptist chapel is a small stone building, with round-headed windows, and is served from Scarborough.
Stainton (Stone-town) Dale township extends from about six to 11 miles N.N.W. of Scarborough. It comprises 2,633 acres, most of which is moorland, extending along the coast of the German Ocean, The rateable value is £1,984, and the population in 1881 was 238. The soil and manorial rights of the liberty and royalty of the township belong to a number of freeholders, among whom are Strickland Constable, Esq., exors. of Thomas Candler, exors. of W. H. Hammond,. Messrs. S. L. and J. L. Emmerson, Robert Emmerson, senior, and exors. of Dr. Rooke. The Scarborough and Whitby railway passes nearly four miles through the township, and provides two stations.
Pursuant to charter granted by King Stephen, the freeholders of the dale claim exemption from tithes, tolls, and land tax. By virtue of privileges granted by an old charter, they also claim exemption from serving on juries at assizes or sessions. Robert Mainforth, who was overseer for many years, reads the charter to the judge in Northallerton when jurymen are called from this place. Mr. John Mainforth, of Rigg Hall, has in his possession a copy of the charter, Mr. John Mainforth, junior, of Cloughton Moor, has also in his possession "An Award."
In 1832, a school-room was built by subscription, and used for the threefold purpose of a chapel-of-ease, Methodist chapel, and school-room. Accommodation for 80 children. On the formation of a School Board in 1886, it was handed over to them. The Board opened another school at the Peak, in 1889, at a cost of £350. H. C. Donner, 20, Huntriss Row, Scarborough, clerk to the Board.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of North Yorkshire (1890)]
- Transcript of the entry for the Post Office, professions and trades in Bulmer's Directory of 1890.
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.