Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: GATE HELMSLEY. Church dedication: ST. MARY. Church type: Peculiar. Discharged Vicarage.
Area, 520 acres. Bulmer wapentake *1. -Population, 243; Church-room, 200; Net value, £114. -The Prebendary of Osbaldwick hath in Helmsley all those tenements, with the lands appertaining, and the whole north side of the town from east to west, and the tithe corn of those lands and tenements.
This was formerly a Vicarage, but is held as a Perpetual Curacy.
Patron, the Prebendary of Osbaldwick.
Impropriator, - Burrell.
Torre gives a catalogue of the Vicars.
Torre gives no information as to the endowment. The first Vicar he mentions was instituted in 1351.
Valued in the King's books, at £2; in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 192, it is stated : " The Vicar hath all small tithes ; value, £10. 8s.;" -and in 1818, at £103 per annum.
Augmented in 1730, with £200; in 1770, with £200; and in 1785, with 2001. -all by lot; and in 1798, with £200, to meet benefaction of £200 from Elizabeth Dodsworth.
An Inclosure Act was passed 9th Geo. III.
No glebe house.
The Register Books commence in 1689.
Parochial Charities. -No return.
Post town: York.
Torre's MS. (Peculiars), page 668. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 59. Bawdwen's Domesday Book (Elmeslac, Hamelsec), page 50. Nonae Rolls, page 236.
*1 But in Peter liberty. -Part of Osbaldwick is within this parish. Stamford Bridge is partly within the parish of Gate Helmsley, and partly within the parish of Low Catton.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.