[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"GREAT THIRKLEBY, a parish in the wapentake of Birdforth (Thirkleby Hall, the seat of Sir Thomas Frankland, Bart.); 4 miles SE. of Thirsk. The church, which was re-built in 1722, by the late Sir Thomas Frankland, is dedicated to All Saints (see Churches
for photograph); the living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Archbishop of York. The ancient family of the Frankland's has resided here for upwards of two centuries; and the present Baronet is lineally descended from Oliver Cromwell, the Lord Protector. Population, 293.
The family if the Franklands is of great antiquity, and probably came over with the conqueror. Their first settlement appears to have been at Ickeringill, in the parish of Skipton. In the early part of the year 1600, we find William Frankland, Esq. settled at Thirkleby. He was the first of the family that was advanced to the dignity of a baronet, in the year 1660. He married Arabella, daughter of Henry Belasyse. Esq. and grand-daughter of Thomas, Viscount Fauconberg. The present Baronet, the 6th, is lineally descended from Oliver Cromwell. He was brought up at Merton College, Oxford, and was High Sheriff of this county in 1792. He married Dorothy, daughter of William Smelt Esq, by whom he had Henry, Robert, (Member of Parliament for Thirsk,) Sarah, Amelia, and Mariane."
"LITTLE THIRKLEBY, in the parish of Great Thirkleby, & wapentake of Birdforth; ¼ mile SE. of Great Thirkleby, 4 miles SE. of Thirsk."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]