SESSAY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.
"SESSAY, a parish in the wapentake of Allertonshire, North Riding county York, 5 miles S.E. of Thirsk, and 6½ N.W. of Easingwold. It is a station on the Great Northern railway. The parish comprises the townships of Sessay and Hutton Sessay. The village, which is small, is chiefly agricultural. The surface is undulating, and the soil a mixture of clay and sand. The living is a rectory in the diocese* of York, value £575. The church is dedicated to St. Cuthbert. The parochial charities produce about £21 per annum. Sessay Hall is the seat of Viscount Downe."
"HUTTON SESSAY, a township in the parish of Sessay, wapentake of Allertonshire, North Riding county York, 1 mile N.E. of Sessay, and 5 miles S.E. of Thirsk, its post town. It is situated near the Great Northern railway. At Sessay is a station of the York and Newcastle railway. The soil is of a loamy nature. The place is chiefly the property of Viscount Downe."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013