Hide

UPLEATHAM: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide

"UPLEATHAM, a parish in the eastern division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles N.N.E. from Guilsbrough, containing 239 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to that of Guilsbrough, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £800 royal bounty. The chapel is small and ancient. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. From the village, which is pleasantly situated on a declivity, there is a fine prospect of Skelton castle and the rich vale below."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]