Hide

WEST ROUNTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide

"WEST ROUNTON, a parish in the wapentake of Allertonshire, North Riding county York, 8 miles N.W. of Northallerton, its post town, 7 S.W. of Yarm, and 1½ mile N.E. of Welbury railway station. The village, which is small, and chiefly agricultural, is situated on an eminence. The lower grounds are watered by the river Wisk. The land is nearly evenly divided between arable and pasture. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £272, and the glebe comprises 78 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £344, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. James, is an ancient stone edifice, with some Norman details, and contains two bells. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; also a village school."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013