Hide

WHITBY: Whitby-Cliff Lane Congregational Church History up to 1868.

hide
Hide
Hide

WHITBY-CLIFF LANE.
(ASSOCIATE PRESBYTERIAN.)

The associate congregation arose 1789, at first occupying a room in the New Way, and afterwards removing to Brewster Lane. In 1790 a new chapel was erected in Cliff Lane.

The ministers have been-

  • 1789. Rev. THOMAS CRAIG. Removed to Leeds, 1793.
  • 1799. Rev. PETER THOMPSON. Removed to Leeds, 1804.
  • 1806. Rev. GEORGE YOUNG, D.D., author of several works, one of which, "A History of Whitby," possesses great antiquarian value. He died 1848, and was succeeded by
  • Rev. G. BARTHOLOMEW, who resigned in 1855, and was succeeded by
  • Rev. H. S. CAMPBELL.
In 1816 Mrs. Joanna Kirkwood left to the poor of the congregation an endowment of £100.

Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2014
from the Appendix to
Congregationalism in Yorkshire
by James C. Miall, 1868.