Data from the 'Collectio Rerum Ecclesiasticarum' from the year 1842.
The place: YARM. Church dedication: ST. MARY MAGDALENE. Church type: Unaugmented perpetual Curacy.
. Area, 1,180 acres. Langbarugh liberty, W.D. -Population, 1,636 ; Church-room, 700; Net value, £151. -The manor was parcel of the ancient possessions of the Lords Brus, of Skelton, from whom it descended to the Thwengs of Kilton, and thence by the Meynells to the Lords D'Arcy.
This Church was appropriated to the Priory of Guisbrough. It was claimed by the Monastery at Thornton, but after a contest between the Canons of Guisbrough and Thornton, the latter relinquished all their claim to this parochial Chapel, and in return received the Church of Kelesterne.
A brief was granted in 1728 for rebuilding this Church.
Patron and impropriator, the Archbishop of York.
Mr. Graves gives a catalogue of the incumbent Curates.
Valued in 1707, at £38. 3s. 6d. per annum : and in the Parliamentary Survey, vol. xvii. page 33, (Rectory,) it is stated, " The Rectory belongs to the Archbishop ; £5. 6s. 8d. paid to the Curate by the impropriator."
" All the tithes are impropriate in Mr. Nicholas Sugar, in York. Value £10, paid in money." Signed, " Thos. Burton, Curate." -Notitia Parochialis, No. 1062.
The revenues of this Benefice are stated by Mr. Graves. Bacon says it was formerly a Chapel to Kirkleavington, and under the Monastery of Guisbrough; and Burton, that the Prior and Convent of Helaugh were to place a Chaplain at Yarum.
Views of the old and new bridges are given by Mr. Graves, and also the pedigree of the Meynells.
A glebe house was returned in 1818 as fit for residence, but in 1834, the return was " no glebe house."
The Register Books commence in 1649 *2. Baptisms and burials defective in 1765-1766. -Vide transcripts at York.
The Free Grammar School. Founded 7th July 32nd Eliz., by Thomas Conyers. Endowment ; rents-charge £9. 4s. per annum, by the will of the founder, dated 10th February 1589, and proved in 1590. The master is entitled to two oxgangs of land in Yarm, with the water and fishing belonging thereto, but they do not appear to have been ever in his possession. Six free scholars.
William Chaloner's charity, by will, dated 18th June 1799. Dividends on £400 three per cent. consols, for educating eight poor children elected by the Minister and churchwardens. Also the dividends on £100 four per cents for a quarterly Sunday evening lecture, to be preached on the first Sunday after Epiphany, Lady-day, Midsummer-day, and Michaelmas-day, on the following subjects : the education of youth, baptism, redemption, the wisdom of God in the creation.
Robert Bainbridge's rent charge, £1 per annum, by will, dated 20th December 1707. For apprenticing a poor child not receiving parish relief.
John Benson's rent charge. 20s. per annum given among widows.
Poor's Money. Interest of £45 amount of sundry benefactions, lent to the town for the use of the highways : given in bread.
Thompson's, Waldy's, and Hutchinson's gifts. It appears that William Thompson left £30 for the poor, Thomas Waldy £50, the interest to be distributed in Bibles and other religious books ; and the Rev. John Hopkinson £50 to the poor. -These sums were invested in the purchase of £150. Navy Fives.
Nicholas Mayes's charity. The Commissioners have withheld their report on this charity in consequence of some explanatory information being wanted. Mr. Graves states it to be a rent charge of £2. 12s. per annum for the poor, out of the Friarage Garth, under will, dated 1st June 1676. -Vide 8th Report, page 750.
A post town.
Torre's MS., page 167. Abp. Sharp's MS., vol. iii. page 137. Graves's Cleveland, page 54. Mon. Angl., vol. vi. page 636. Tanner's Notitia. Burton's Monasticon, pages 56. 67. 172. 282, 283. 338. 354.
*1 In the Domesday Book written Larun, and in other records Yareham, Yareholm, Yarum, and larum; a corruption of Ea, water, and Ham, a dwelling.
*2 Mr. Graves says in 1642.
THE HOSPITAL-This was founded before the year 1185, by some of the family of Brus. It was granted to the Canons of Helagh Park, and fell with it at the Dissolution. A Chantry wasfounded within it.
There was also a Friary of Dominical Monks in Yarm.
Mon. Angl., vol. vi. pages 636. 1496.
George Lawton in 1842..
OCR and changes for Web page presentation
by Colin Hinson. © 2013.