"FARNHAM, a parish in the lower division of the wapentake of Clare, West Riding county York, 2 miles N. of Knaresborough, its post town, and 6 S. of Boroughbridge. It is situated on the Nidd, a tributary of the river Ure, and includes the townships of Ferensby, Farnham, and Scotton, with a portion of Arkendale. The soil is chiefly a stiffish loam, on a substratum of limestone. Copper is obtained here. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ripon, value £130. The church, which formerly belonged to the priory of Bello Valle, in the county of Lincoln, is a stone edifice, with fine chancel in the Norman style of architecture, and handsome stained-glass windows representing the Crucifixion, Resurrection, and Ascension of our Lord. The whole building has recently undergone complete restoration. The Wesleyan Methodists have chapels in the parish, and there is a National school for both sexes."
"FERENSBY, (or Firnsby), a township in the parish of Farnham, lower division of the wapentake of Clare, West Riding county York, 1 mile E. of Farnham, and 2 miles N.E. of Knaresborough. The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel."
"FERNSBY, a township in the parish of Farnham, lower division of the wapentake of Claro, West Riding county York."
"SCOTTON, a township in the parish of Farnham, lower division of Claro wapentake, West Riding county York, 3 miles N.W. of Knaresborough, and 1½ mile S.W. of Farnham. The village, which is of small extent, is situated in a vale of the same name watered by the river Nidd. There is a bleach ground, and stone for building is quarried. The Wesleyans have a place of worship, and there is a burial-ground belonging to the Society of Friends. The ancient mansions of the Percy and Pulleyn families have been converted into farmhouses. About half the land is arable, and the rest pasture. The soil is rich. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1828."