[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"FARNHAM, a parish-town, in the lower division of Claro, liberty of Knaresborough; 2½ miles N. of Knaresborough, 5½ from Boroughbridge, 7 from Ripon, 20 from York. Pop. 141. The Church is a perpetual curacy (see Churches for photograph), in the deanry of Boroughbridge, diocese of Chester, value £6. 12s. 1d. p.r. £32. Patrons, the Heirs of the late Col. Harvey, and James Collins, Esq."
"FERRENSBY, in the parish of Farnham, lower-division of Claro; 2¾ miles N. of Knaresborough, 4¼ from Boroughbridge. Pop. 110."
"SCOTTON, in the parish of Farnham, lower-division of Claro, liberty of Knaresborough; 2 miles NW. of Knaresborough, 3 from Ripley, 10 from Ripon. Pop. 297.
This was anciently the residence of the Percies and Pulleyns, whose Mansions, still remaining, are converted into farm Houses. Percys' is now the property of the Rev. William Roundell, and retains many marks of antiquity. The houses where the Pulleyns resided, is now the property a Sir Thomas Turner Slingsby, Bart. it is a very large building, hath undergone so thorough a repair, that scarcely any marks of antiquity remain about it. --Hargrove."
- Transcript of the entry for Farnham in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Farnham.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Farnham to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE348606 (Lat/Lon: 54.040208, -1.470096), Farnham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- The World War I memorial at Scotton
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SE337592) Preston House
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.