The Ancient Parish of FELKIRK
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"FELKIRK, a farm-house and a parish in the township of South Hiendley, wapentake of Staincross, liberty of Pontefract; 5 miles NE. of Barnsley, 6½ from Wakefield, 9 from Pontefract, 33 from York. The Church is a vicarage, dedicated to St. Peter (see Churches for photograph), in the deanry of Doncaster, value £7. 1s. 10½d. p.r. £140. Patron, Archbishop of York."
Information on the following places in this Parish is contained on a supplementary page.
- Here are photographs of Churches in the parish:
- St. Peter's Church, Felkirk, view 1.
- St. Peter's Church, Felkirk, view 2 - the entrance to the churchyard.
- St. Luke's Church, Grimethorpe, view 1.
- St. Luke's Church, Grimethorpe, view 2.
- The Pentecostal Church, Grimethorpe.
- The former Bethany Methodist Church, Grimethorpe. (The Church's website is here.)
- St. Paul's Roman Catholic Church, Grimethorpe.
- St. Paul's Church, Brierley, view 1.
- St. Paul's Church, Brierley, view 2.
- The Methodist Church, Brierley.
- The National Spiritualist Church, Brierley.
- The Mission Church, Shafton.
- The Methodist Church, Shafton.
- The Methodist Church, South Hiendley.
- The Living Hope Church, Havercroft (formerley the Bethel Chapel).
- The (new) Living Hope Church, Havercroft.
- Transcript of the entry for Felkirk in the "Collections relative to Churches and Chapels".
- The whereabouts and dates of the Registers etc. for the Parish of Felkirk.
- Transcript of the entry of "professions and trades" in the Baines's Directory and Gazetteer, Vol I, West Riding.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Felkirk to another place.
- Local history site for Brierley, includes photographs, local history archives etc.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE384126 (Lat/Lon: 53.608556, -1.421102), Felkirk which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Transcription and photograph of South Hiendley war memorial
- The Memorial for the men who lost their lives at Grimethorpe Colliery 1894 to 1993.
- The War Memorial for the dead of WWI and WWII, and other wars, in front of St. Luke's Church Grimethorpe.
- The World Wars I and II Memorial in St. Paul's Churchyard, Brierley.
- The World War I Memorial Plaque outside St. Peter's Church, Felkirk.
- The World War II Memorial Plaque outside St. Peter's Church, Felkirk.
- The following places are within the boundaries of this (ancient) parish, but I have no further information on them other than the Ordnance Survey Landranger Grid reference shown:
- (SE396144) Newstead
- (SE393104) Shafton Two Gate
- A list of those paying the 1379 Subsidy Rolls (Poll Tax) for this parish.