Great Ouseburn, Yorkshire, England. Geographical and Historical information from 1835.
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"GREAT OUSEBURN, a parish in the lower division of the wapentake of CLARO, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles S.E. from Aldborough, containing 437 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the court of the honour of Knaresborough, rated in the king's books at £3. 10., and in the patronage of the Crown. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has lately received an addition of one hundred and twenty sittings, of which sixty are free, the Incorporated Society for the enlargement of churches and chapels having granted £60 towards defraying the expense. There is a place of worship for Independents. Six poor children are instructed for £3 a year, the produce of sundry trifling bequests for that purpose."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]