Hide

LINTON IN CRAVEN: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide

"LINTON IN CRAVEN, a parish in the eastern division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-and-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Grassington, Hebden, Linton, and Threshfield, and containing 1910 inhabitants, of which number, 313 are in the township of Linton, 9 miles N. from Skipton. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, in medieties, each rated in the king's books at £16, and in the patronage of the Crown. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, contains two reading-desks, the duty being peformed alternately by the two portionists, between whom the tithes of the parish are equally divided, each having also a parsonage-house. Tne free school was founded and endowed with a rentcharge by the Rev. Matthew Hewitt; £20 per annum is paid to the master, and £10 to the usher: there are four exhibitions, of £ 12 per annum each, to St. John's College, Cambridge, and the school is open to all applicants, for instruction in Latin and English grammar. In 1721, Richard Fountain devised a rent-charge to trustees, among other charitable purposes, for apprenticing four boys annually, and for the foundation and support of an almshouse for six poor persons, each of whom receive £ 10 annually: there are at present six poor widows."


"GRASSINGTON, a township in the parish of LINTON IN CRAVEN, eastern division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-and-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 9 miles N.E. from Skipton, containing 983 inhabitants. There are fairs for cattle on March 4th and September 26th, and for sheep on April 24th and June 29th. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."


"HEBDEN, a township in the parish of LINTON IN CRAVEN, eastern division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE and EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 11 miles N.E. from Skipton, containing 377 inhabitants. There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyan Methodists."


"THRESHFIELD, a township in the parish of LINTON IN CRAVEN, eastern division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-and-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 9 miles N. from Skipton, containing 237 inhabitants. Here is an endowed school."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]