Hide

LONG PRESTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

hide
Hide
Hide

"LONG PRESTON, a parish in the western division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-and-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Hellifield, Long Preston, and Wigglesworth, and containing 1491 inhabitants, of which number, 733 are in the township of Long Preston, 4 miles S.E. from Settle. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £10. 18. llf., and in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Christ Church, Oxford. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."


"HELLIFIELD, a township in the parish of LONG PRESTON, western division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-and-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles S.S.E. from Settle, containing 279 in. habitants."


"WIGGLESWORTH, a township in the parish of LONG-PRESTON, western division of the wapentake of STAINCLIFFE-and-EWCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles S.S.W. from Settle, containing 479 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]