NORMANTON: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"NORMANTON, a parish in the lower division of the wapentake of AGBRIGG, West riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Altofts, Normanton, and Snydale, and containing 773 inhabitants, of which number, 250 are in the township of Normanton, 4 miles E.N.E. from Wakefield. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £7, and in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to All Saints. A free school was founded here about 1592, by John Freeston, who endowed it with £10 a year, besides two hundred marks for the building of a house for the master and usher; twenty children are taught upon this foundation, and eight poor girls are instructed for about £5 per annum, the bequest of Elizabeth Levitt."
"ALTOFTS, a township in the parish of NORMANTON, lower division of the wapentake of AGBRIGG, West riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles E.N.E. from Wakefield, containing 404 inhabitants."
"SNYDALE, in the parish of NORMANTON, lower division of the wapentake of AGBRIGG, West riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles S.W. from Pontefract, containing 119 inhabitants."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]