TANKERSLEY: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
"TANKERSLEY, a parish in the wapentake of STAINCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, comprising the chapelry of Wortley, and the township of Tankersley, and containing 1529 inhabitants, of which number, 625 are in the township of Tankersley, Sj miles S. from Barnesley. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £26. 0. 2., and in the patronage of Earl Fitz- william. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is principally in the later style of English architecture."
"WORTLEY, a chapelry in the parish of TANKERSLEY, wapentake of STAINCROSS, West riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles S.S.W. from Barnesley, containing 9Q4 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of York, endowed with £300 private benefaction, £400 royal bounty, and £ 1700 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Rector of Tankersley. This place, which is delightfully situated on the river Don, and embosomed in fine woods, is celebrated in the ancient poem of "The Dragon of Wantley.""
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]