This parish derives its name from the ancient family of Martel, to whom it formerly belonged; it is situated on the old road from Cork to Kinsale, and contains 5452 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act and valued at £3994 per ann. About 40 or 50 acres are woodland; 100 acres, young plantations; and the remainder, except a very small portion of bog at Scart, is arable and pasture. The soil, though generally light, is tolerably fertile; in that part of the parish bordering on Templemichael, on the west, it is of a very superior quality, being a yellow loam of some depth and bearing excellent crops. About three-fourths of the land are under tillage, and the remainder generally in large dairy farms. Sand and other marine manures are brought up within a mile of the parish, and are extensively applied by the farmers, affording employment to a considerable number of persons. There is a small oatmeal-mill, and in the southern part of the parish is a flour-mill. The principal seats are Ballintober, the residence of the Rev. J. Meade; Ballymartle, of W. R.
Meade, Esq.; Coolkirky, of T. Herrick, Esq.; Glendoneen, of the Rev. J. Stoyle. They are all finely wooded; the proprietor of the last has planted 180,000 trees on his demesne, which are in a very flourishing state, and the whole forms a very interesting and beautiful feature in the view of a country so generally destitute of wood. Near the church is a constabulary police station; and petty sessions are held in the village every alternate Monday. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Cork, and in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes amount to £424. 12. 4. The church is a small, plain ancient structure, and contains a monument to Sir John Meade, Bart., grandfather of the first Lord Clanwilliam, and judge of the palatine court of the county of Tipperary, who was buried there. The glebe comprises 5¾ acres, but there is no glebe-house. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also that of Cullen; the chapel, near the village, is a plain modern edifice. A Sunday school is supported by the rector; and there are two payschools, in which are 30 boys and 11 girls.
from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, 1837.
The transcription of the section for this parish from the National Gazetteer (1868), provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ballymartle to another place.
You can see maps centred on OSI grid reference W6315057339 (Lat/Lon: 51.767727, -8.534516), Ballymartle which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- Bing (was Multimap)
563150,557339and paste it into the search box at Ordnance Survey Ireland.
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)